Explore Luxembourg City

Luxembourg City Tourist Office

Today’s Luxembourg City Tourist Office was created on 6 December 1933 as the Syndicat Officiel d’Initiative et de Tourisme de la Ville de Luxembourg.

Its object is to take initiatives in developing tourism over the whole of the City of Luxembourg, manage reception centres whose aim is to inform tourists and help them organise their stay, organise guided tours of the City of Luxembourg, produce all kinds of documentation related to tourism, and stage cultural events in the broadest sense of the term.

Luxembourg City Tourist Office website


Chemin de la Corniche

Click on the image to view 360° panoramas

Often called “the most beautiful balcony in Europe”, the Chemin de la Corniche runs along the ramparts – built by the Spaniards and the French in the 17th century – from the Bock Promontory up to the lower part of the Holy Ghost Citadel, along the Alzette valley.

Featured image: © LCTO


Bock Casemates

Click on the image to view 360° panoramas

The Bock Casemates are defensive underground tunnels, the first of which were built in 1644, in the era of the Spanish domination. The 23-kilometre long galleries were enlarged only 40 years later by Vauban, the French military engineer and fortress builder, and in the eighteenth century by the Austrians. The subterranean defensive passages were placed on different levels and reached down as far as 40 metres.

It is these impressive defence works that conferred Luxembourg the name of “Gibraltar of the North”.

Featured image: © LCTO


Grand Ducal Palace

Click on the image to view 360° panoramas

In its function as the city residence of the Grand Ducal family, the Grand Ducal Palace is situated right in the core of the Old Town.

Formerly the first town hall of the city occupied the site of the present palace. This was destroyed by a gunpowder explosion  in 1554, and rebuilt 20 years later. The Parliament was built as an annex in 1859. Since 1890 the main building has served as the Grand Dukes’ official residence.

Featured image: © LCTO


Notre-Dame Cathedral

Click on the image to view 360° panoramas

The Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary was originally a Jesuit church dating back to the year 1613. Architecturally, it is a fusion of late Gothic and Renaissance styles. The building was expanded and enlarged between 1935 and 1938, and its distinctive towers represent a distinctive landmark of Luxembourg City.

It has been a cathedral since 1870, and contains a statue of the Virgin Mary known as Consolatrix Afflictorum, venerated as the patron saint of both city and nation. Believed to have the power to work miracles, it attracts pilgrims from all over the region once a year, on the occasion known as the Octave.

In the crypt are the graves of John the Blind and various members of the Grand-Ducal family.


Neimënster

Click on the image to view 360° panoramas

The old Altmünster Benedictine abbey was destroyed in 1542 so that the Benedictine monks built a new abbey in the suburb of the Grund. The Neumünster Abbey consisted of a church and four wings enclosing an inner courtyard. At the end of the 18th century, after the French Revolution, authorities expropriated the Church of Saint John and the abbey was altered so as to house a military hospital which functioned until 1867. After the State took over the premises, Neumünster was used as prison for male inmates up to 1980.

After more than 10 years of restoration works the abbey reopened to the public in 2004 to become a popular cultural and conference centre, renamed “Centre Culturel de Rencontre Abbaye de Neumünster – Neimënster”.

Featured image: © LCTO


Muerbelsmillen

Click on the image to visit Muerbelsmillen website

The origins of the Muerbelsmillen (Mohrfels Mill), situated at 69, Rue Mohrfels in the suburb of Pfaffenthal, date back to the 11th century. In recent times, and until 1985, it operated as a mustard factory.

Today, the building preserves the old mill technology, complemented by an exhibition. Visitors can observe the large water wheel rotating in the millstream, as well as visit the first floor, where grinding was once carried out with the old millstones and gears. A historical film illustrates the operation of the mill and the production of mustard, and a separate space is reserved for workshops.

Take 3D tour

Featured image: © Lëtzebuerg City Museum


The Philharmonie Luxembourg

Click on the image to visit the Philharmonie Luxembourg website

The Philharmonie Luxembourg, known officially as the Salle de Concerts Grande-Duchesse Joséphine-Charlotte, was designed by the French architect Christian de Portzamparc and Chinese-born acoustics engineer Albert Xu. Situated on the Place de l’Europe on Kirchberg, it opened its doors in 2005.

It is home to the Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg, and regularly welcomes many prestigious orchestras from around the world, such as the New York Philharmonic, the Vienna Philharmonic, the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra and the Bayreuth Festival Orchestra.

The Grand Auditorium can seat an audience of 1,500, and two smaller rooms provide more intimate settings for crowds of 300 and 120 seats respectively.